What are the benefits of having a Delta credit card?
As with all the best credit cards, the exact benefits you get from your Delta credit card depend on which card you select. Here is an overview of some of the possibilities.
- Earn Delta miles on your purchases
- No foreign transaction fees: Delta credit cards on this list come with a 0% overseas transaction fee. You will not be charged any supplement for purchases made in another country or in another currency.
- In-flight savings: Save up to 20% on in-flight purchases like food, drinks and headphones. Savings are in the form of a statement credit.
- Free checked baggage: Many Delta credit cards provide cardholders with free checked baggage on Delta domestic flights.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck: Get reimbursed with a statement credit when you purchase and subscribe to a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck membership. Credits are available every four years for Global Entry and every four and a half years for TSA PreCheck.
- Annual accompanying certificate: Flying with a friend? Some Delta cards come with an accompanying certificate valid for a free domestic ticket. You can earn a certificate each year you join the card after your birthday. Taxes and other charges may apply.
- Delta SkyClubÂ®: Enjoy discounted or free access to Delta SkyClubÂ® airport lounges. Some Delta cards also offer free access to the Centurion LoungeÂ®.
- Benefits for American Express cardholders: Due to the partnership with American Express, Delta credit cards also offer several American Express benefits. This may include such items as access to the Global Assist hotline, the American Express offers and benefits portal, and American Express presales.
Although Delta offers a travel credit card with no annual fee, you may need to pay an annual fee to access the best benefits. Annual fees can range from zero to $ 550 per year.
What are Delta points worth?
When redeemed for travel, Delta Points are typically worth between $ 0.01 per mile and $ 0.03 per mile.
How you redeem your Delta Points determines the value per point you get. For example, the routes you take – and when – can have a big impact on your value per mile. Out of season flights tend to have the best prices. You may get a different rate per mile when you trade in for domestic flights versus international flights. The cabin you select can also impact your value per mile for Delta miles.
Our tests found that Delta miles averaged around $ 0.014 per mile on domestic flights. The lowest per mile reimbursement was $ 0.011 per mile on a Delta One flight from JFK (New York) to LAX (Los Angeles). The highest national reimbursement was $ 0.018 per mile for a main cabin ticket from MCO (Orlando) to SEA (Seattle-Tacoma).
Our tests showed that international flights had an average trade-in value of $ 0.017 per mile. The lowest exchange rate was $ 0.010 per mile on a Delta One flight from MCO (Orlando) to DUB (Dublin, Ireland). The highest value per mile we saw was $ 0.029 on a Delta One ticket from ATL (Atlanta) to DUB (Dublin, Ireland).
How do I earn points for paying for flights with a Delta credit card?
You pay for flights with points by accumulating Delta miles. A Delta credit card can help you do this in two ways: purchases and welcome bonuses.
Each Delta credit card earns Delta miles on qualifying purchases. The number of miles you earn depends on the card you have and the type of purchases you make.
The fastest way to earn credit card miles is to receive a welcome bonus. Cardholders typically earn a lump sum of Delta miles when they sign up for a new Delta credit card. Welcome bonuses range from 10,000 miles to 80,000 miles or more.
You must meet the spending requirements on your new card to earn the bonus. For example, you might need to spend $ 500 in the first three months to earn a 10,000 mile welcome bonus. Requirements vary by card and bonus.
Do I redeem my Delta points with Delta?
Delta miles must be redeemed through your Delta SkyMiles account. However, you do not have to redeem your miles for Delta flights. Delta is part of the SkyTeam airline alliance, so you can redeem Delta miles for flights on approximately 26 international airlines.
Delta miles can also be redeemed for things other than flights. Of course, as with all of the best travel rewards credit cards, you get the highest value per mile when you redeem your miles for travel. Other redemption options include gift cards, magazines, Delta VacationsÂ® and Delta ExperiencesÂ®.
Can I get checked baggage for free with a Delta credit card?
Free checked baggage is a common benefit of airline credit cards – and Delta cards are no exception. All Delta credit cards on this list come with free checked baggage, with the exception of one: the no annual fee option.
You are entitled to one free checked baggage, as are up to nine people traveling on your reservation. The charge is waived for the first checked baggage on flights marketed and operated by Delta. The waiver is only valid for normal baggage charges; oversized or overweight bags are not included.
Do Delta credit cards have an annual fee?
All of the best Delta credit cards have an annual fee except one. The Delta SkyMilesÂ® Blue American Express card is the only Delta credit card with no annual fee (see rates and fees). It also has the fewest advantages. For example, the Delta SkyMilesÂ® Blue American Express card does not come with free checked baggage.
The annual fees on Delta credit cards cover a range of values. Mid-level cards come with an annual fee of $ 99 to $ 250. The highest annual fee is $ 550 for the Delta SkyMilesÂ® Reserve American Express card (see rates and fees).
While an annual fee of $ 550 might seem steep, it can be worth it for the benefits. Delta SkyMilesÂ® Reserve American Express cardholders receive complimentary access to the Delta SkyClub lounge, valued at $ 545 alone (conditions apply). You can also use your card to speed your way to Delta Elite status. And the annual accompanying certificate can easily be worth hundreds of dollars.